View Single Post
Old 06-21-2004, 07:48 PM   #18
arveetek
Ultimate Diesel Dude

6-21-04 Update:

PROJECT FINISHED!!

I've been really busy the last several days, so I haven't had time to update ya'll on my progress.

The next step was to make a pressure system from the turbo to the pressure chamber mounted on the intake manifold. I made one from ABS plastic pipe and fittings. I'm not sure how well it will hold up under the heat, but so far it's working good. I will probably end up replacing it with a metal system, but at least now I have a pattern.

I then made the air filter system. The orginal tractor-style cartridge air filter assembly I had purchased was too large to fit anywhere underneath the hood, at least not in a way that pleased me. So, I ditched that and used a universal-style 3" cone-shaped filter, and mounted it underneath the passenger side battery tray. I also cut a hole in the radiator support for a fresh, cold air intake. You can see pics of this in my photo album.

I welded a 1" hose fitting into the air intake pipe, and ran a hose from there up to the CDR valve.

I installed an Auto-meter Sport comp boost guage.

After that, I was pretty much finished with the turbo installation. I then went on to building the 4" exhaust system, which was really much easier than I anticipated.

So, now the moment you've all been waiting for: the results!

Well, at full throttle acceleration, I've seen a max. so far of 11 lbs of boost at 1000 degrees EGT. Yippee! That's what I was hoping for! I didn't want too much boost, 'cause I wanted reliablility more than anything, but I also wanted more than the typical 7 psi boost that Banks owners usually get. I've noticed the EGT's run around 200 degrees cooler than before at cruising speeds. I can mash on the throttle and get an almost instant 5 lbs of boost before she starts building with the rpms.

I used to have EGT's in excess of 1300 degrees. I can't wait to hook up a trailer and see what happens now!

And the sound! Oh my, the sound of the engine/turbo/exhaust is absolutely brilliant! I can hear the turbo sing to me even at idle and just cruising around, but then she really begins to whislte and whine when under power. And the Kennedy muffler lets just enough sound through to deliver this deep rumble that lets you know you've got something underneath the hood.

I'm so giddy! I can't believe I've actually pulled this off after all this time.

I'll continue to update you on performance issues as time goes on.

I have updated pics showing the turbo and exhaust system at:

http://community.webshots.com/album/153303040IeQyIu

Casey
Attached Images