View Single Post
Old 04-15-2020, 10:26 PM   #161
cornerstone

Re: Uncle Loyd's 72' C-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsolo View Post
I used Rattle trap, 50sqft....and 2 layers of close cell foam all under the dash and up the back....100sq ft...Looks like EZ cool is the closest to what I have.
Im guessing there is a difference between closed cell foam and foil backed bituthene? I’ve seen the closed cell stuff at nearly .5” thick, whereas the foil backed butyl stuff seems to all be anywhere from .80 mil (.03”) to 1.57 mil. (.06”).... pardon if my math sucks. I don’t get their advertising, they say it’s 80 mil thick, but apparently that is the equivalent of 3.14 inches. What am I missing here? I understand some of these products are primarily designed for sound reduction and some are primarily heat and cold resistant. It’s my impression that the butyl foil backs stuff is for more for sound reduction, and the thicker closed cell stuff is for insulation...Is that fair to say?

Either way more is better I figure. I followed suit and have another 36 square feet of the “Siless” on the way. If someone can convince me why I need the closed cell stuff I’m all ears.

FedEx had dropped off my new electric fan this afternoon so I got busy and managed to get it fit into my original fan shroud.
Credit goes to board member 71Rat for this mod. It’s from an 03 Jeep Cherokee, and it looks like it could have been straight from the General in 1972. Well, if they even were using electric fans back then... It’s a perfect fit!
Attached Images

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.

Last edited by cornerstone; 04-16-2020 at 09:08 AM.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote