View Single Post
Old 04-17-2020, 08:23 PM   #9
burnin oil

Re: C30 heavy duty rear axle top speed

Gv bolts on like a transfercase to the rear of the transmission. When you buy it new it basically a gear splitter and then the correct adapter to mate to the transmission. They are pretty slick units. The downside is cost. Look around but unless you find a screaming deal the NV4500 will be a cheaper way to go. The only catch here is the dump bed. I assume that its PTO drive off the transmission. You would need a new PTO for the NV4500. If you have the ebrake of the transmission yoke then you will have to deal with this either way. My parts 68 c30 has the pedal mount.

Seriously though look into the brake costs for your current axle. I saw some of them when I was looking for HO72 brake parts. Neither is cheap but that 11k axle is pricey!

Don't let me saying to swap axles full you. I like the old ones and going through a 5.14 HO72 rear for my 57 GMC dually currently. Depending on usage you could always go up to 22" tires from a semi. This would also help bring the gearing into reason. I have to run the 19.5 mud grips on my 5500 and burn through tires. I am halfway through set number 3 at 80k miles. I have tried both the BFs and Kuhmos. I do run heavy with a lot of torque which doesn't help. Next set is semi tires since ride doesn't matter.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote