View Single Post
Old 04-18-2020, 08:54 AM   #25
Bkndsdl

Re: 1980 C10 Short Fleet Build

Things are slow right now with all the virus stuff. However, we did manage to get some stuff done on the truck. We decided to tackle the transmission, and see if we couldn't fix the not shifting into third. I can shift it all day long when the truck isn't moving, but when it's rolling it won't go into third, which leads my mechanic brother to the synchronizers need replacing. While they do, we found some significant other issues that need to be addressed. My son sold his drum set, go-cart, and moped to get the $$$ to buy the parts needed: Transmission rebuild kit with new synchs, clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, new front cover (old one broken in half), and u-joints. I can't just give it to him, he's gotta make sacrifices!

Putting it up on jackstands. Just not enough room under there with a creeper.

Old man gets the creeper. Lol. My favorite picture. This is where heaven is found.

Driveshaft out! U-joints need to be replaced since we've got it out.

And it's out......notice the front cover is missing something? Wonder how that happened......

First surprise: Missing a bolt. Evidently it's been messed with before.

Second surprise: No front bearing left!! Explains the broken front cover.

The missing bearing did a job on the input shaft gear. I don't believe it's going to interfere with the shifting and the overall performance of the transmission, so I'm going to put this back in.

Everything torn down.

We had to make an order for new synchronizer keys, as one synch has broken keys. Here are two of the three. They are broken in half.

We've gotten this far. Waiting on parts now to finish. Hope to have it all back together this coming weekend.

On another note, I broke my vise while trying to change the U-joints....cheap HF, but it lasted me a good long while. I have since ordered a cast steel one with a lifetime warranty. Can't wait for that puppy to get here!
Dirty Dan - '80 Short Fleet
Bkndsdl is offline   Reply With Quote