View Single Post
Old 04-22-2020, 11:37 AM   #5
RustyBucket

Re: out of ideas... STARTER problem

In response to your kind suggestions..... It's hard to get a meter on it at the starter when it screws up... It has good voltage at the newly installed remote solenoid and at the battery. It only does this "sometimes" which doesn't make it easier to diagnose. He's got a variety of ground straps on it but not one from the stud on the starter case. We'll try that. I'll bet he's tried 10 different new starters, geared, big, little, high tq. He's tried a variety of heat shields both store bought and fabricated. Header clearance is not particularly tight.. compared to my two trucks. I don't recall if he's tried one of the "blanket" shields. It's had lots of batteries, has one in it less than a month old now.. not sure what the CCA is on it. It's almost like the engine "binds up" and just won't turn sometimes. THANKS for the thoughts & suggestions. He just installed the remote solenoid kit and was pretty disappointed that didn't cure it.. might be a few days before he can bear to mess with it again.
Current toy trucks:
'71 GMC 1500 SUPER CUSTOM short/step, orig. dk. blue, 350/700r, ps,pb, A/C
'72 Blazer 2wd, ochre & white, 454, tremecTKO 500 5spd. ps, pb, A/C, tilt

Last 10yrs of hobby vehicles, had a FEW more in the 50yrs. before these:
'66 Plymouth Belvedere City of Miami cop car clone.
'70 Nova 406"sb, 13.5-1, solid roller, Brodix, p.glide/t.brake, back halved, 9" Ford, spool 4.88, cage,ladder bar/coilover, 10.5 tire....... SOLD!!
'67 C10 short/step side mount spare -- SOLD!!
'72 Jimmy 2wd, 350/350, ps, pb, fun driver, lots of bondo & a shiny red paint job..... SOLD!!
'69 Nova 350, 4spd, A/C, ps, p.b, ...SOLD!!
RustyBucket is offline   Reply With Quote