View Single Post
Old 04-24-2020, 08:01 AM   #13
Pontiac1976

Re: *Replacement Turn Signal Lever*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippi View Post
I have a 1984 Chevy steering column in my 49 truck and I'm wanting to replace the turn signal lever with one that does not have the wiper, cruise control, etc. on the lever. Do they make a replacement that is just a rod like the tilt lever is in the pic. The ones I've seen online have a different end where it connects inside the column. I found a billet set of 3 as in the pic but the end looks different. Anyone have any knowledge on how it connects inside the column or what would work. I should have paid closer attention when I replaced the turn signal switch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippi View Post
I have a 1984 Chevy steering column in my 49 truck and I'm wanting to replace the turn signal lever with one that does not have the wiper, cruise control, etc. on the lever. Do they make a replacement that is just a rod like the tilt lever is in the pic. The ones I've seen online have a different end where it connects inside the column. I found a billet set of 3 as in the pic but the end looks different. Anyone have any knowledge on how it connects inside the column or what would work. I should have paid closer attention when I replaced the turn signal switch.
Note: the bottom pic is for the 73-83 style column will not work.

I see you have these options on you signal lever - cruise control, wipers.
As said you could try weld the tip on your new alloy stock but it will stick out about 1-1/4" more then it would.

This will make you lose the option of cruise control.
(1)option: If you do not care about the cruise control you could get a all black factory OEM signal lever 84-87 with (Mist OFF L0 Hl) markings this will fit you can pain with some of the alum paints or some of the chrome like paints or combo of the candy chrome paints. and it will fit in more like you want.(this will look like your now but will not have the button on the end or the switch horn sticking up for the resume of the cruise control.)

(2) option: You can change your column to 73-83 style with tilt or with out tilt. This means you have to change your dash face bezel to 73-83 to the stye your looking for to get the dash mount wiper switch. then you have re-wire the wire switch to the dash switch. https://bowtieguy.proboards.com/thre...ce-bezels-fits this will help show you the break downs.
This is pic shows wiper motor break down.
https://bowtieguy.proboards.com/thre...-washer-repair

I hope this May help you.
1977 REG cab Long Bed with a 1984 Front Clip, 82 305 .60 over 9.0.1 flat top pistons, 4bbl, TH350, w/84 SS-intake & cam , w/ 1977 big block rad, 1975 gear box, 1984 master w/ metric fittings top & SAE fitting @ portion block, 1975 3.42 gear open diff. Duel 77-87 Factory air cleaner, duel inlet from rad support . Down sized 9' to new 8' Steel flat bed
Was a 77 454 w/308 gear. Taken out 550 lbs. up front with motor clip change.
Pontiac1976 is offline   Reply With Quote