View Single Post
Old 04-24-2020, 01:48 PM   #37
mikentosh

Re: Mikey's 77 shortbox - Greenie

I was going to "option" this out with a V05 heavy duty cooling setup, and got the flat radiator top plate, but I couldn't find any of the tall fan shrouds to go with it. Instead I switched back to a standard setup using the readily available repop fan shrouds.

I started out with a Cold Case radiator (GMT556A) which is a very nicely built unit. One minor issue with it is that its only available in bare aluminum, so I spent a bit of time prepping and painting with Eastwood radiator paint. Unfortunately after all of this work and having the unit in the core support I realized the lower radiator outlet is 0.25" larger than factory, which makes it basically impossible to find a pre-molded radiator hose. This makes the Cold Case radiator a no-go unless you want to use one of those flexi "universal" hoses.

About the time I was really getting fed up with searching alternative rad hoses on Summit, I came across their house brand of "classic OEM" radiators. These are copper/brass units that come in various sizes to fit most 60s/70s GM products. I went with part number SUM-382014, which ended up being a perfect fit.

I'm using an AC Delco fan clutch (15-80245) and an OER reproduction 19-1/2" 7 blade fan (part 3991431) to pull the air through.
Attached Images

mikentosh is offline   Reply With Quote