View Single Post
Old 04-25-2020, 06:43 PM   #102
VWNate1

Thumbs up Making Progress

Not to worry about the timing indicator, that's why I said to get a dynamic timing light with the advance dial on the back .

You should have gapped the spark plugs very first thing, it makes an amazing difference / improvement because wider gaps force the ignition system to it's full out pout and the hotter sparks burn everything, oil, gas .

DO NOT use hotter spark plugs unless you're forced to, after you've done everything else .

FWIW, when I'm at auto swap meets I always find at least one good timing light and give $5 for it ~ the ones I buy are the old chrome metal case SEARS Craftsman inductive typ, so far none was broken, I bought one that didn't have the dial to get the cord & inductive pickup for my 45 year old old I plain old wore out after forty five years of daily commercial use .

No one I've even met has had the far less user friendly plastic Snap-On ones last even 1/2 that long .

The advance dial allows you to set the full advance timing using the 10 degree indicator .

For now, just leave the timing where it is, re gap the spark plugs and then re adjust the idle mixture .

A vacuum gauge will help you set the mixture better .

You don't need new tool$ ~ used will do, remember : I grew up a farmer and every penny counted .

Not "poor" because that's a state of mind , broke, very different and I live well (I'm fat & contented) in spite of little $ .

Keep at it .

I wish I was closer, once I show you how it's done you'll be able to keep an old nail running sweetly for pennies and make $ tuning your friends and neighbors rigs sharply once they see how well yours runs...
'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH
VWNate1 is offline   Reply With Quote