View Single Post
Old 04-26-2020, 05:43 PM   #11
Killer Bee

Re: Concrete Versus Black Top?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian113 View Post
Getting Bids on a New shop and garage combo to park my Motorhome in. I will also end up with a 24x48 ft shop just for my toys so I will have room to actually tear something down and WALK around it! I am putting in a 6 inch thick concrete floor so I can handle weight of my Class A and put a Auto Lift in shop area. My question is has anybody used black top for driveways or would I be better off to just go ahead and pour concrete all the way. I'm looking at atleast 70 ft by 12 ft driveway and a 15 x 40 area in front of Garage. I wonder if prices are comparable?
break it down;

24'x48'x6" shop = 22 yds

15'x40'x6" apron = 12 yds

70'x12'x6" drive = 16 yds

not sure what a yd of concrete goes for there, but my quick googling came up with about $100/yd

and I'm not sure what $labor is there, but can't be anything like it is here.. you'll have to shop rates there for the different types of pours..

you're knocking 50 yds total yet your driveway is barely a third of that and the cheapest of all three to cut, form, and finish..

concrete https://concrete.promatcher.com/cost/iowa.aspx

driveways https://driveways.promatcher.com/cost/iowa.aspx

Cost of Asphalt Driveway Installation in Iowa
$3.14 per square foot (tearout and install) (Range: $2.34 - $3.93)
Free Estimates from Local Pros

Cost of Concrete Driveway Installation in Iowa
$4.92 per square foot (Range: $3.35 - $6.49)
Free Estimates from Local Pros

if you calculate the totals I don't see substantial savings, $1-3k maybe? and compared to the overall project cost and practical use difference..

now if your driveway was couple hundred feet or longer, than you may see a greater savings with asphalt..

and I suggest you get at least three quotes.. our project was quoted $35k to $60k and we're looking at about $25k subbing it all out ourselves..

I'm right in the middle of something similar so I know how you feel

good luck!