View Single Post
Old 06-23-2004, 09:18 PM   #14
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WES
crazy longhorn, I am just curiouse as to how poly body mount bushings help you launch straiter. Does the cab and radiator core support stiffin up the frame. I can understand how poly motor mounts would be help keep the engine from flexing, somehow changing the angles on your clutch linkage, but how do the body mount bushings help? jorgensensc, I don't think that you are attacking anyone. You are right urithane bushings would not harm a street truck nearly as bad as an off roader or heavy hauler. However, just because it is a street truck doesn't mean that it doesn't flex. There are speed bumps, ramps into stores, uneven road surfaces, uneven parking lots, and etc. A truck does lots of flexing wether or not it is on the road or off. WES www.ClassicHeartbeat.com
Yes, that missing rad support(not tied to the cab) does pose a problem on these old trucks. I should go back just a bit tho....the crosssills on the box of the longhorn are 2x3x 1/8" wall rectangle tubing, the end sill is a 3x3, with a couple 2x2's & a 1x2 over the axle.....every tube is tied together front to back with a short section of 2x2 (welded tight). that made a big difference in handling, & the urathane bushings just put the "icing" on the situation. That old truck will run 100 mph in 4th gear @ around 6200 revs, & haze the hides pulling 5th @ that speed(thats when you know you like a d@mn straight ride!). As I said, money was not the issue, but a fix to a couple problems.....if i felt that rubber would work better for me , I would have spent twice the cash . for the run of the mill resto, rebuild, ect(ecspecially 4x4), rubber might be the best answer. what the heck, it sounds like several guys like the urathanes.....stock a few sets, & tell the guys what you think about them.....you will probably still sell a few sets)(some of us need to find out the hard way ) myself included! I just feel that they work best for my useage crazyL, rowin "6", & swearin that i earned all these grey hairs....
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote