View Single Post
Old 05-03-2020, 08:01 PM   #641
DD1

Re: Trying to make Junky perhaps just a little bit Funky...

This morning (or afternoon by normal standards) I put oil in the engine, bolted the transmission cross-member and started up the truck. No massive oil leak like I was expecting (seriously, I was expecting a tidal wave of oil) BUT it was still leaking in the exact same spot. Sooo... I ordered a new oil pan from Rock Auto and am hoping that takes care of it.

I did learn a few things from my last experience so it should not take as long this time. Today I raised the engine and place the wood under the mounts, so when my pan comes on Thursday I am ready to start disassembling everything. Raising the engine was easier this time as I learned I can reach the nuts with an extension socket and I learned an easier way to raise the engine. I placed a block of wood vertically between the balance and the pulley.

Aside from cleaning up the garage, I decided to tackle the bedside - can't remember which side of the truck it's for. It's pretty rusty inside and I should probably find a new one. But I could only find one place with holes so far - I plan to blast it soon - and I decided to try repairing it. Considering this is not where my skills are best suited I think it worked out okay.

I didn't take a good pic of it before I started but the holes are worse than the top image here and the metal is crazy thin. I tried filling the holes and it burned away instantly. I made a template with a piece of brown paper and cut it out of a fender panel Classic Parts sent me for the wrong truck a while back. I had a nice curve to it that I thought would help make the piece fit better.

Like I said it is really rusty inside the bedside. Wish I could just replace it.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=502964
DD1 is offline   Reply With Quote