View Single Post
Old 05-05-2020, 01:38 AM   #15
Sheepdip

Re: Compatibility of front control arms/spindles

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Centerlinks MAIN DIFFERENCE is the taper of the hole for the inner tie rods.
That’s why the break down of differences.
63-70
71-72
73-87
Keith, I don't doubt your expertise in these conversions, in fact I used a lot of info you provided, but I can tell you that the 73-87 tie rod tapers are the same as a 70, at least on a C30 they are. I reused my existing 70 center link, 70 idler and pitman and tie rods inner and outer were 73-87, they were the same taper and fit perfectly, the truck computer aligned perfectly after the install.

Like I stated in a earlier post I just completed a front disc conversion from an 86 to my 70 leaving my 70 cross member in place and bolting 86 upper and lower control arms to it.
I found the 86 center link to be roughly 1-1/4" shorter at the pitman/idler taper center lines and 1/2" shorter at the tie-rod taper center lines than the 70 center link.

Not sure what year the break occurred but the idler arm taper on the 86 was also 1 size smaller. Also I'm not sure why the 86 center link is shorter but it has to be in the steering box/idler arm center lines... I did not have the whole truck to measure why the discrepancies.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote