View Single Post
Old 05-07-2020, 02:32 PM   #479
Purcell69

Re: 1957 Chevy 3100, meet 1994 Dodge Ram 1500

Just a quick update...I've been working some 14 hours shifts lately, to buy more parts for Ethyl. Consequently, I have not done as much work on her this year as last, in spite of the now warmer weather.

I finally got around to purchasing the SCT X3 tuner from Utawesome Performance and sent a copy of my cam card to Marty Fletcher. He wrote an incredible tune that really makes the most of the cam. The idle is no where near as fat as it was and she pulls hard off idle, all the way through. My driveway is 600' and I had to back out before I found out what all there is.

I've also been parting out the son-in-law's 1996 Ram 1500 (Ugly Truckling) and acquired the Flowmaster muffler for use on Ethyl. The change from that stock Jeep XJ Cherokee muffler that I had been using to something that flows was amazing to say the least. Of course, now I need to add sound deadening inside the cab to my list. The muffler is a 40 series, 3" inlet, dual 2.5" outlets that I am going to exit under the passenger side running board.

Yesterday, I took Ethyl for a shakedown run to the gas station, just to see how she would do on the highway. Keep in mind, I am still using the 46RH hydraulically controlled transmission. I don't have Overdrive wired up and have a 46RE waiting to go in that will be 100% controlled by my PCM. Regardless, she did well. Aside from a squeaking serpentine belt and a fuel filler neck that I need to rework, everything went as planned. She drove nice and straight at highway speed, for the first time in 18 years, and she had no leaks on the ground while I very slowly filled her fuel tank. No drips from the motor, trans, transfer case or axles.

https://youtu.be/O0_W2yjqKUc

-Joe