View Single Post
Old 05-15-2020, 12:16 PM   #27
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Any suggestion for color on these vintage aluminum mage wheels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Gold/white View Post
Look'n good in the Chevrolet Neighborhood!!!

Those bowtie centers look good. Another thought is to take the center caps to a sign company that makes vinyl lettering. They could make the round pieces, with the bowties. Making them any color you want. AND...make some spares for future use. THey are not difficult to apply...
Interesting thought. The guy who refinishes a lot of my parts can fabricate most things. He can even make a badge if you want him too. Former cop of all things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Those look great! I bet rattle can flat black would stick well all over

The '72 SWN I was going to rebuild, but sold to start from scratch on the '67, had these wheels painted black. I hated them. Ugliest looking wheels I ever saw. If they were wider than stock (never cared for custom wheels that aren't wider) I would had taken then down to bare like you did. I had similar wheels on my K2500 a while. They were so dirty they were almost black. I got them clean using Scothbrite, wheel cleaners, and even fine sandpaper. I like the dull clean look of aged aluminum wheels
These wheels were painted with between spokes. Horrific job but boy did it stick. Tempting to spray bomb for sure

I just spoke to the guy who's powder coating the wheels (clear:bling2): I only polished the wheels to 300 and satisfied. Anyway I asked him about finish grit, and he's talking 600 or so. I was surprised to hear as much as 2000 grit (what the?). Apparently he went to a top school for powder coating and his equipment top notch. I can say everything he's done for me is top notch.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 05-15-2020 at 12:42 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote