View Single Post
Old 05-19-2020, 04:43 PM   #230
SCOTI

Re: Son's 68 c10 Short Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaroguy View Post
I have it boxed up and put away for now. I have used these in the past though and there is a tab welded on the inside of the bumper that your bolt slips into. The shoulder of the bolt holds it in place and it is then bolted to the factory brackets. Basically it is exactly the same as an original bumper but instead of the bolts shouldering through the bumper they rest on the tab.

Hope that makes sense - I will see about getting a picture this evening.
Thanks. That's what I wondered. I did mine back in the early 90's before stuff like this was available. I used hardware bolted to the factory brackets w/a plate sandwiched between them on the inside of the bumper. Installed the bumper, tacked/welded the plates to the back of the bumper & the hardware to the plates. Then cut the heads off the hardware & welded the holes up from the front.
In retrospect, I should have just welded regular hardware to the plates on the inside vs the bumper face & the plate. The plates helped spread any impact load (which worked). But, since the bolt was still welded in the OE holes as well, they puckered when it was involved in a fender-bender. You know what they say about hind-sight....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote