Thread: 47-59 needing a wiring diagram
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2020, 08:28 PM   #12
1project2many

Re: needing a wiring diagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasWorksGarage View Post
is it the same as a 55?
You can view the 1955 shop manual here: http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com...uck2/index.htm . The '58 and '55 wiring are very close WRT the turn, brake, and tail lights.

If a tail or brake light on a dual filament bulb like the 1157 has a poor ground, power will will travel through both filaments in the light to find a path to ground in another bulb. Based on your description of the rear lights and turn signals I belive the bright rear light is indicating a faulty ground for the LH bulb. I would improve the ground for LH tail / turn lamp. I would also check the LH ground at the same time.

When selecting high beam, do the headlights appear to turn off or do low beams stay operative? Does the high beam indicator in the cluster illuminate? If the lights turn out and the red high beam indicator does not light I would test the dimmer switch for proper operation then, if the switch tests ok, I would test the wires at the headlamps for power during high beam. If you have power at the high beam connector but the lights are still inoperative, check your grounds at the headlamps.

Note that it's possible for sockets to be corroded, crimped terminals to get corroded, and for paint to interfere with circuits. Often the best way to check for a ground is to connect a test lamp between known good ground and the base of a bulb. If the light illuminates when power is pplied to the bulb you can bet that you have resistance in the ground side.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote