View Single Post
Old 05-23-2020, 07:11 PM   #1
nikwho

4-wire alternator wiring question...

So, recently had my new 383 built. While I was swapping the engine, I also changed my front accessory drive setup. I believe that it's out of an '89 Blazer, FWIW. It's the serpentine setup. Ill attach photos. My '59 Apache is re-wired with a Rebel Wire harness. If I have any questions after asking here, I'll just call Rebel Wire, as he has always been great answering questions, back when I was wiring the truck!

So, new setup has the 4 wire alternator. I bought a new wire plug/pigtail with four wires.. Previously, I for some reason had my alternator power and exciter wires (red and white wires) connected together. So, per what I found online, I put a ring terminal on the "S" (sensor) wire and looped it right back to the battery terminal on the alternator. I have yet to ground my alternator, but will be. In a "let's see if this works" moment, I took my power & exciter wires that were previously connected together in a 1/4" F blade connector, and crimped a 1/4" M connector onto the pigtail from the "L" terminal on the alternator.
In order from top to bottom, the terminals on the 4 wire alternator are "P, L, F, S". So, sensor (S) looped back to battery, and my wire harness power and exciter wires are hooked to the "L" terminal. Once I connected those wires to my "L" terminal, I checked my volt gauge and it had gone from 12v (not charging), to approx 13.5v (charging). However, it was making a whistling type of sound. I assumed that it was a bad bearing, perhaps, or something else not happy in the alternator. So, after shutting the truck down, I just started it back up and the alternator will no longer charge. I realize now that I've read about guys frying these 4 wire alternators, by wiring them incorrectly. I'm assuming that's what I did. Not super upset about it, as the alternator is an unknown unit to me, and I'm okay with replacing it with a new unit. BUT, I really don't want to burn up a new one. Can anyone offer a little wiring advice, to help me be a bit more successful here?

Thanks so much!

Nik