View Single Post
Old 05-25-2020, 12:40 AM   #15
nikwho

Re: 4-wire alternator wiring question...

Well, everything that I have read indicates that the resistor is just to function as a back up, in case the light bulb burns out. I'm going to install one, but it seems as though it isn't necessary for proper function of the alternator. I REALLY wonder if there are simpler 1/2/3 wire alternators that would bolt in place of this alternator, and accept the serpentine pulley. I'd greatly prefer that, over soldering resistors, and having such headaches. Just seems that with this system, there is a higher chance of failure on the side of the road for some silly reason. Seems as though I've got it wired correctly now, though it also seems as though my alternator is fried! (Another reason I would just as soon run a different type of alternator).

As a side note, when I hooked it up incorrectly, it began charging, but made a high pitch noise, like a bad bearing. Now, when the battery cable is connected to it, it makes a very quiet humming/whirring noise. So, I fried something. Im sure that if I install the same type of alternator, it would work well, and I wouldn't have to think about it for years. However, I'm just not a big fan of these so far, and from my little bit of research, they're quite a bit more expensive than the alternators that I've run in the past.