View Single Post
Old 05-26-2020, 07:47 PM   #1
Davidf

Window install fail

Sorry no pictures. But, got my slider rear window ready to install now that I have finished painting the cab. My wife assisted, and I was using Windex as a lubricant (it evaporates too fast). First three attempts went no where and I managed a chip or two on the pinch weld.

I was not giving up and rain was coming. So, used my spare new seal (brothers sent me an extra by mistake, precision brand) and the stainless trim seemed to fit better in the rubber this time around. Next my bright idea was I needed a better lubricant, so I grabbed my pool rubber seal dressing. Wow did it work wonders...glass/rubber/trim assembly dropped right into place and corners were not too difficult. All done, why didn’t I think of that earlier?

THEN, I thought hmmm...wonder what’s in that seal dressing. Yep, it’s a silicon based lubricant. Doh, now that stuff is all around the window. I pity the next guy that does any paint work in the area and knowing my luck it will be me. Now I also get to try and decontaminate my work bench area (where I also do bodywork and paint on doors, fenders and the like)

So, maybe KY jelly or Moose Juice would have been better. The water skiers in the crowed may know what Moose Juice is.

Live and learn.

Last edited by Davidf; 05-26-2020 at 07:53 PM.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote