View Single Post
Old 05-27-2020, 12:06 AM   #654
DD1

Re: Trying to make Junky perhaps just a little bit Funky...

It's going to seem like I'm all over the place and I pretty much am. I've been having trouble focusing on one thing and figuring out what to do next. My goal is to get the rocker panel fitted, but I want to have the door and fender lined up when I work on the rocker. Everything listed is grouped together by each project, but it's not in order it was done.

Let's start with the door and fender. I removed both again, blasted the fender and did a really crappy job painting it with Chassis Saver. Before I painted it, I welded a couple areas that had holes. I taped these areas when painting and a couple of spots that had bondo. One of the spots was not sanded properly, the other is decent. I don't see the point in removing existing bondo just to do it again; I hope to sand it so it's even with the rest of the fender. I felt underneath the bondo spots and it feels like there were some small dents/dings they covered up.

Fender after blasting:

Area's I welded up. My welding skills are improving somewhat, but the bar was really low to begin with. My grinding skills not so much.

I forgot to take a pic of the bad paint job. Oh well, I'll post it tomorrow. I reinstalled the fender and made some more adjustments. Got some body shims from HF and shimmed the bottom fender bolt and a couple of shims under the radiator.

Lower fender was a 1/8 and 1/16 shim, no shims at top of fender, and two 1/8 shims under the radiator.

I installed the striker to see how it would close and it wouldn't. After removing the striker and the plate a few times, I figured out that neither was the problem. This is the first modification I will need to make to the door and it's a minor one that I can live with. The wheel that turns in the plate is hitting the door frame and won't move. Tomorrow I'll take it out and grind the door frame a little.

I ordered a new turn signal switch from Rock Auto. That was a pain to install, but I finally got it after removing it 3 times. I was concerned because I could not find any easy way to do it on a tilt column searching on the forum, but I was able to get it done without taking the whole column apart.

I nicked the insulation on a wire by mistake, but I don't think it's going to affect anything so I wrapped electrical tape around it. Forgot to take pics of the installed piece, but here's the nicked wire.

That's all for now. Will post more tomorrow. Trying to do a little everyday and take advantage of not being able to travel for work.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=502964
DD1 is offline   Reply With Quote