View Single Post
Old 05-27-2020, 03:26 PM   #5
skyphix

Re: Slightly different EFI dual tank question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_R_23 View Post
I’d like this to be a drop in deal without any modifications to the tanks or necks, was mostly what I was shooting for. Yeah, the Holley units look a bit pricey, but TBI tanks are more expensive than the regular tanks, and by the time I buy sending units, replacement pumps, and void the warranty by modifying them, I’m pretty close to the cost of the Holley units anyway. Plus, they come with the Hydramat and are returnless (internal regulated) and will work great with the newer single feed line rails.

I didn't have to modify my tank besides the usual folding in the seams on the side to get the straps to reach around it, I did modify my sending unit by cutting off the flare because I used braided PTFE line, and the EP381 pump that I used just wired in. I did choose to use weatherpak connectors so that was a bit pricy. I only had to change out (and trim) the rubber hose that runs from the tank to the filler door. I suspected my old tank was rusty inside, and didn't want to pull my bed to install the rear mount tank.

I'm definitely not saying the Holley units are the wrong choice, if anything I am sure the performance will likely be better with the foam and the Holley units since the foam will be more effective at preventing sloshing than the small box baffle in the 87 TBI tank, just want to give you my experience for you to make your decision.

If I were to do it again I'd convert to a between the frame rails 20+ gallon tank that sits behind the rear axles and gone with an Aeromotive or Walbro 450 in tank pump, but what I did got me going for relatively cheaply.
skyphix is offline   Reply With Quote