View Single Post
Old 06-06-2020, 12:17 PM   #1
Nick_R_23

1949 Chevy 3100 is coming home!

So while I’m in the midst of three other builds, already limited on time and money, what’s a guy supposed to do except to bring another one home?

I came across this 1949 Chevy 3100 shortbed on Facebook a while back. The seller claimed he’s been offered $5500 for it before, and I’ve watched the price steadily drop from $3500 down to $1000. I figured for a grand, it should be worth a look. It turned out to be in good shape in some places, others not so much. There is rust, but it’s in weirder places than I’m used to seeing these trucks rust at. The worst part is that BOTH sides of the cab are creased from stuck doors, and I almost walked away because of that. The seller asked what I would pay, and I said I wouldn’t go over $500...and he came back with...SOLD! So, I guess I own it now!

At first I thought this was an actual ex-USAF truck, but I later noticed that the door has wing window brackets, meaning it’s not original to the truck. Still a pretty neat piece though! It appears mostly unmolested aside from the front and rear bumpers, although the engine is missing nearly every external part. It looks like it’s been in the mud at some point, and I’m afraid it’s probably not worth saving. Transmission sort-of shifts, so that may be savable. Rear axle feels okay aside from both of the RH side brakes being stuck.

I have no clue what I’m going to do with it, and it will likely be a further off project, but I have one again! I’m pretty tempted to do an interesting engine swap, something that’s not typically done. Anyway, I know you all want pictures!

Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote