View Single Post
Old 06-08-2020, 12:30 PM   #7
weim55

Re: The "seldom seen" RPO thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
I just learned something about the truck I've owned all these years. My original 350 is also a LS8.
Jim, like your truck the build sheet from my August 68 production date 1969 CST20 shows an “XD” code LS8 medium duty 350 as original equipment. One of the deciding factors in my purchase of the truck was the absolute virgin bone original engine compartment. Every last bracket an accessory on the engine is as it should’ve been in 1969. I thought for sure this would be the original engine in the truck, but alas, when I removed it to reseal it I found it is actually a std. “WH” code LS9 350 with casting dates in the spring/summer 1969. Every single component of the engine was untouched and correct so possibly this was a warranty replacement Engine? When I opened up the engine all of the original gaskets were Still in place, the old fiber timing gear still on it, all of the original bearings and pistons. Definitely never opened from all the evidence. As you can see in the pictures this LS nine has a different block casting from yours. The very common “010” 350 Passenger car/light truck use from the late 60s into the mid 70s. This one happens to have four Bolt mains as you can see in the pictures. Other things I noted : Cast crankshaft, not forged. Cylinder heads do not have valve rotators. Cylinder heads are small valve small port (1.74-1.50) Castings that are also the same on 307 engines of the same year. Intake manifold is a small port that matches the heads topped with the correct Quadra jet four barrel. I think it is highly likely the difference in the LS8 block casting is a higher nickel content for reduced cylinder bore wear And possibly thicker cylinder walls. I am curious as to the other small differences.

Steve weim55 Colorado
Attached Images

Last edited by weim55; 06-08-2020 at 12:50 PM.
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote