View Single Post
Old 06-11-2020, 03:32 AM   #659
Grizz1963

Re: GRIZZ’s ‘79 - 2WD BLAZER Challenge over in London, England. “~It’s not a Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
I'm going to treat your sketch like it's oriented north to the top. You can correct me if that's wrong or we can do LR/Up Down.

Your posts look like they are sited well and you can run 2 east/west beams over the top of them. And then run joists n/s, which will allow you to cantilever the overhang. I don't think you have to poke the NE one through the roof to get a square although I understand the idea.

Starting from the ground, I suggest anchoring it somehow or putting significant weight at the posts. We don't want the wind to put it in Mickey's yard and 5mx6m is a lot of sail area.

I'm going to speak in "Imperial" dimensions and you can translate as needed 4x4 posts can carry the weight, but will need to be braced so it can resist lateral movement (not fold up).

Does it shed water to the "north" or to the south?

Have you considered plastic or sheet metal roofing? Will probably allow you to go down one size in beams and joists. Your spans will probably mean that you need to venture into engineered material. What we call glu-lam beams and truss-joists. 5 to 6 meters is a lot. If you can live with any posts out in the middle, that will help.

Your bracing will want to be a knee brace at least 1/4 of the way down the post (height). Attached across/ through, the grain, no end-screwing or toe-nailing, and please keep the description in context, ha.

That's a pretty good start. I now recall that you may be using some steel galvanized posts?

Morning

08.30 here.

Not sure about current time in Washington state.

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

You did get the orientation right.

Water will be draining toward the rear, which to me is West, and the shed boundary.

I will have to look at corrugated sheet metal, but will bypass the clear materials like polycarbonate as it fades and looks rubbish in the end.

I am also contemplating getting the roof built by someone else, as my back is so deteriorated and working alone is not going to cut it, sometimes paying a pro is a much cheaper option.

Weirdly, as a South African, I grew up with the Metric system But due to my varied interests, I always auto-convert to Imperial.

I also AMA fan of over engineering rather than regrets.

I will see how this unfolds.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote