View Single Post
Old 06-13-2020, 12:52 AM   #29
joedoh

Re: S10 Frame Swap on 47-53 - Would you do it again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_R_23 View Post
The fact that the track width is a bit narrow, rear axle needs to be swapped right off the bat, significant sheet metal mods, etc

I havent swapped an axle except on the 65, because the track width was 12 inches different. I used 22x10 rear wheels with 3" backspace on that one. I am not sure what significant sheetmetal mods you are expecting, I cut two windows in the lower splash pan and cut the bottom 8 inches off the core support. you will need to trim the inners for upper control arms no matter the setup.
also, what is the etc you refer to? if its pedals and column and brakes and fuel, you will do that no matter what chassis you have, stock, s10, explorer, you might just be trading the same work on different chassis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_R_23 View Post

I think my thoughts there are, if I'm going to be performing that much fabrication to begin with, I want to start off with a chassis that will more closely match the end result. I think once I get some time, I'll bring my Explorer frame over and pull my '49 body off, and mock up how well everything will line up. I know these work well for the F1 and F100 guys!
like I said above, i think you might just be trading a new road running parallel to an old road, meaning the explorer frame might be the same fabrication in a different chassis. but I havent ever done or not done something based on what someone else thought either. when you start, take lots of pictures!

gigamanx why couldnt you use your column again? I just helped a guy with a MII/LS swapped stock frame and we actually put in a square body s10 column and brake pedal and booster and master cylinder. he even got an S10 bench seat for it!

I trimmed off the lower mount and used some exhaust pipe to make a new lower mount. worked great.

by the by, he is disappointed that for his investment he is not further along, he is at 22k, stamped steel MII arms, 4 link and coilovers on a camaro rear, no paint, no interior, no fuel system, no brakes, no wiring, and he still is spending. just ordered $400 worth of steering parts, the MII rack input shaft is well under the exhaust manifolds.

when I met him he said he wanted it running by summer. I told him he was lucky that summer came every year because it wasnt going to be THIS summer.

edit: as a matter of fact, I just remembered nics that I did over christmas, 3 weeks total, pedals column and frame from squarebody donor, mounted body bed running boards and bumpers. he brought both complete donors to my house, and my parts and labor didnt cost even what a MII setup cost. only small spacers on his wheels, no axle change. after selling his spares I bet he has less than $1000 in my work. he has some rust repair and glass repairto do but taht would have needed done anyway. he is an ls swap guru so I bet he can have it running and driving in a couple weeks when he gets to working on it.

this is why its important to identify what you want up front and not deviate from it. its like selling a project idea to your wife, you sell the bare minimum and then snowball it to what you REALLY WANT. the reason why peoples schedules and budgets go awry is that they fib to THEMSELVES, and say they can accept one thing when they have literally no intention to.

again, look at Husseys thread if you are trying to decide, his is a great example of setting the plan and the budget to get there.
Attached Images

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393

Last edited by joedoh; 06-13-2020 at 11:16 AM.
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote