View Single Post
Old 06-13-2020, 12:23 PM   #30
Nick_R_23

Re: S10 Frame Swap on 47-53 - Would you do it again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
I havent swapped an axle except on the 65, because the track width was 12 inches different. I used 22x10 rear wheels with 3" backspace on that one. I am not sure what significant sheetmetal mods you are expecting, I cut two windows in the lower splash pan and cut the bottom 8 inches off the core support. you will need to trim the inners for upper control arms no matter the setup.
also, what is the etc you refer to? if its pedals and column and brakes and fuel, you will do that no matter what chassis you have, stock, s10, explorer, you might just be trading the same work on different chassis.

like I said above, i think you might just be trading a new road running parallel to an old road, meaning the explorer frame might be the same fabrication in a different chassis. but I havent ever done or not done something based on what someone else thought either. when you start, take lots of pictures!
From what I’m reading, the S10’s 2WD axle is too narrow for the body, so either the axle needs to be swapped to a 4WD axle for a wider WMS, or the bed needs to be modified to fit the wheels further inboard. That leaves you with a narrow front end, which the solutions are custom A-arms, extreme offset wheels, or very wide spacers. I’d rather start out with a frame that puts the wheels out where they need to be with no changes.

Trimming inner fenders is fine (and I would imagine less is needed due to the rack and pinion vs the S10’s steering box), but I’m seeing builds completely redesign core supports, radiator housings, floor pans, and firewalls. I tend to prefer keeping the body and interior as stock as possible, although I do want to convert to hanging pedals. There will obviously be similar hurdles to overcome with either swap like you said, the more I look at these, the more I feel like I would be starting out further ahead with the Exploder chassis.

I went way down the rabbit hole with research last night, now I’m interested in doing a Vortec 4200 in it as well! I just can’t be normal!
Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote