View Single Post
Old 06-13-2020, 05:43 PM   #12
Nick_R_23

Re: S10 Frame Swap on 47-53 - Would you do it again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post

All I am saying is THINK ABOUT IT! Some of you who did the swap it was perfect for you, others that do it they made a mistake, never finished it or it was simply a waste of time and money and work because they didn't NEED it. I LOVE cars, I have driving to the drag strip with the headers uncapped and slicks on from my house in my 65 Buick Gran Sport that was SERIOUSLY set up for handling that I would drive it like it was a friggin Porsche through the winding mountain roads. I have also driven a stone stock 59 Rambler American with a flat head in it every single day to work (drum brakes and a single reservoir master cylinder, OH THE HORRORS) I have had a full on handling set up SHO Taurus I drove every day, I LOVE cars and hot rods.

But every mod isn't for everyone and I just said to THINK ABOUT IT, look at your expectations of the truck! I had done a Camaro clip on my truck and that was the plan. Then I drove a co-workers AD with a dropped axle and nice springs and such and was BLOWN AWAY at how nice it drove. I sold the clipped frame and got a stock one because it made more sense to me and my expectations of my truck.

All I am saying it think about it, it's not a MUST to, disc brakes are not a MUST do, IFS is not a MUST do, there are many ways to build your hot rod truck and have fun.

That is all I am saying. Geeeez

Brian
I don't want to come off as an ass, but I've already stated multiple times that this is not the route I want to take, so you're wasting your breath here. I'm glad you are happy with leaving everything alone under your cars, but I've not only thought about it, but experienced it. Aside from upgrading for comfort or for fun, I do not want 1940's components under a truck that I plan on driving at highway speeds. The technology worked for it's time, but it's 70+ years later. Speed limits are higher, roads are more populated, and new cars can stop at probably 1/4 of the distance of what this truck ever could. Modern cars can stop, start, turn, and maneuver much, much quicker than anything from this era. I'm not putting mine, a passengers', or another drivers' life at risk because I chose to build and operate a vehicle that is not equipped for modern conditions. So yes, in my eyes those things are a must do.

Also, there is no way that a Mid 60's GM Intermediate on slicks has handling anywhere near like a Porsche. I think your perception of handling and braking characteristics between classic and modern vehicles is completely skewed.
Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote