View Single Post
Old 06-15-2020, 12:34 AM   #62
layinrocker65

Re: S10 Frame Swap on 47-53 - Would you do it again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_R_23 View Post
I think an extension of that is a lot of guys get caught up with “project creep”, and I’m certainly guilty of doing it. What starts off as a stock engine, stock transmission, stock suspension build because you start off saying that’s all you really need, can quickly turn into a twin turbo stroker LS with 6 speed transmission, 4 link rear end on bags or coil overs, big brake kit, C5 IFS, etc, because you look at it and go “Well, I’m already in here and it wouldn’t be THAT much more to do xxxx...” and that can stall out a project for a very long time. Something I’ve learned through the years of building cars is that if it’s apart for too long, it’s easy to lose interest or become burned out on building it, because that’s all you’re ever doing to the car. The more you can drive and enjoy it in the meantime and see the fruits of your labor, the more you’ll be able to keep going on it. The Roadkill guys really said it best - Don’t get it perfect, just get it going. Not that you shouldn’t work to perfect your ride, but you don’t have to do it all in one go. Swap a rear end one weekend. Drive it for a few months and upgrade the transmission, or suspension. Nothing wrong with a 305 or a V6 if it gets you out cruising while you set aside for something better, rather than not driving at all because you’re holding out for only the best, perfect engine. Slowly improve it and get to enjoy the drive while you do!
That’s a really good point. That was a great part of originally building my Syclone. It was never down for more than a month or two. I was always getting to drive it and didn’t really get burned out. The only issue with that was I was constantly wanting to upgrade things that I had already done so I spent way more money at the end. Really a double edged sword. For my ‘53, I figured out where I wanted it to be at the end and that’s exactly how I’m building it. Just lucky that the S10 frame fit into my plan and saved me a ton of money. It will take more time but will save money at the end.
‘74 Chevy C10 SWB 5.3/4L80e, Vintage Air, Dakota Digital, US Mags
layinrocker65 is offline   Reply With Quote