View Single Post
Old 06-20-2020, 04:48 PM   #100
nikwho

Re: '59 Apache Camaro IFS project

From Oct. through the end of the year in 2017, I wrenched on the truck a bunch. Straightened out the fuel system, got the brakes bled and was able to take the truck down to Tucson, AZ for the Roadkill Zip Tie Drags. Got to run the truck down the 1/8th mile strip a few times and had a blast! Both of my rear drum brake cylinders were seeping. I wasn't sure how strict their tech inspection would be, so I ran to the parts store and tried to buy two reman cylinders. They only had one, plus a rebuild kit in stock. This was the night before the event, and we had a 4+ hour drive to get down there. I replaced the wheel cylinder that was leaking the most and got the brakes bled. As I loaded the truck onto the trailer, the other brake cylinder failed, and blew a bunch of brake fluid on the trailer. I took my tools and rebuild kit with me, to rebuild the other brake cylinder down there, which is what the first picture is of.

We rolled into the Tucson Dragway around 9pm, if I remember correctly. My truck was slightly less than "race ready" condition, and I knew that I didn't want to go through tech inspection with Brite eyed fresh inspectors in the morning, so I quickly rolled the truck off of the trailer and rolled into tech inspection MINUTES before they shut down for the evening, which was 10pm, I believe. I managed to creep my truck in, and coast to a stop without hitting the brake pedal, as I didn't want to push a bunch of brake fluid out onto the ground right in front of them. The inspectors were very ready to get out of there, and I managed to get through tech. After getting some sleep at the hotel, I returned to the race track at the Crack of dawn the next morning and managed to get my brake cylinder rebuilt and the brakes bled before the event started! Actually, I bolted my lap belts in that morning, too, as I just had them tucked into the seat for tech inspection! Thankfully the inspectors didn't tug on them!
Attached Images

Last edited by nikwho; 06-20-2020 at 05:01 PM.
nikwho is offline   Reply With Quote