View Single Post
Old 06-21-2020, 03:38 PM   #323
Vic1947

Re: 57 Chevy Wagon - Californa Dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
Ok.....I'll hang my own fenders....lol. Looks like they jumped right on it.
I wish that were really the case, Dale. I took my other body cart to them the other day to use on the wagon and had a look at the firewall situation. It looks to me like if they pull the body back off, there's enough filler in the area where the coil cover is encroaching on the firewall that they can re-contour that edge and achieve the necessary clearance. We'll see how it goes. From what I can see on their FB page, they're still working hot and heavy on other projects. It may sit for a while yet before they get serious with it.

Meanwhile, here at the house, I've been working on the console again. I trimmed most of the "flying buttresses" off the upper side panels with the bandsaw. I then got the final shape using the belt sander and an 80 grit sanding block. I first tried to make a little cap for the opening, but it looked like crap, so I taped off the opening, flipped the piece over and squirted in a layer of 3M self leveling seam sealer. Once it set up, I applied a thin coat of bondo to the top side. After working it smooth, I primed the area and knocked down the high spots with 320 grit paper.

I had some 3M vinyl scraps left over from the FITech intake project, so I patched together a couple of pieces and trimmed around the edges. I had a couple of small wrinkles but overall, I like the look. I've got some more material on the way so I can do both sides without having to seam them like I did for the mock up. I considered doing a "carbon fiber" vinyl, but decided I liked the "matrix" effect better ...plus carbon fiber has been around for a long time so this has a fresher look.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote