View Single Post
Old 06-22-2020, 02:47 PM   #981
roll_the_dice

Re: What did you do to your truck today part IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Williams View Post
Dang that looks sharp. I have a question for you. When you tapped off your stripes what kind of tape did you use. I am finding when I pull my tape it’s not a smooth line like yours. I am using a 3M tape that says it’s for sharp paint lines... maybe I am doing something wrong.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks J. I used 1/4" green 3M tape for the initial tape line. I used one continuous tape line going around the corners and finishing where I started, then did the same for the outer portion. I ran my finger around the tape line to make sure it was down good especially in the corners.I then used regular blue painters tape to cover the rest of the panel making sure to get a good overlap of tape so I would get no paint seap. I then sprayed the green. I ended up doing 4 coats of green because I messed up on the 2nd coat. So I let it dry for about 30 minutes and sanded out the imperfection. I then gave it 2 more coats.

I think this is important in pulling a tape line. Once the final coat was put down, I immediately started taking the blue painters tape off, then finally pulled the green 1/4" tape off without waiting until it dried. Here are a few pictures of the taping and painting. As you can see in the close-up it isn't 100% the same width, but not bad for just laying down the tape without being anal...and can't tell from more than a few feet away. Hope that helps!
Attached Images

roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote