View Single Post
Old 06-23-2020, 08:41 AM   #2603
special-K
Special Order

Re: My Facetruck thread.

I stopped by the upholstery shop yesterday while taking care of errands up in Frederick, my city. The city has grown to a huge sprawled out bedroom community with all that Generica has to offer. I've known it as always having anything you wanted. A lot has changed but the old Frederick is still there if you know what you are looking at.

Joe's Upholstery has been my shop of choice since the '70s. It was Don, about my age, and his dad, along with a couple hired guys. Don's son Ronnie started into it once a young adult, and now his son is working there. It was never unusual to have a couple folks in chairs by the door just hanging out chewing the fat. It was like the old general store. I'd stop in pretty much any time in town. We are friends and fellow classic vehicle fans. The dad had an ochre and white '72 Cheyenne Super Custom Camper and I ended up buying the same color '71 Cheyenne Custom Camper. That was the first truck of mine that got a correct reproduction seat cover on, that he installed. He made the white tonneau cover for it and I ended up having him make all new covers for the camper cushions. He would always see my truck and say "I need to restore my dad's truck". He hung onto it over the years. I remember it was outside at a rental property (with big garage Don used) when someone vandalized it. He got it put away safe and more time passed. Well, the day came and Don started into the '72 and didn't stop until he had it sitting in the car show at the AACA National Event at Hershey last fall, looking brand spankin' new!

www.joesupholstery.com

Anyway, it had been a long time since I dropped by and it sure felt good walking in a feeling so welcome somewhere. Great people. I also went to the scrap yard with aluminum. same thing, dealt with that family for a few generations now and know each other as old friends. I used to run an aluminum siding business and was a very regular there, never went anywhere else. Now Brian, about my age, runs it and it's his daughters I cash-out with. When Brian took over he moved it from the good old location in old Frederick to expand. I'm kind of disappointed that he changed to name to just Reliable Recycling, a more contemporary name. All the years I was dealing with them regularly they had one of my favorite business names... Reliable Junk. Ain't it great?? I always loved saying that!

www.reliablerecyclingcenter.com

Ok, so taking care of errands in old industrial East Frederick, so couldn't go home without stopping by McCutcheon's for some hot pepper relish, Vadalia Inion hit sauce, apple sauce, and some marinades. There was once quite a canning industry in Frederick and McCutcheons still remains. They are where the apple orchards sell their apples in this area. Their preserves, dressings, sauces are sold at all the country stores and produce markets. Good stuff! It's having these old family owned businesses that make life better for me. They are of this area, started, grown, and continued in their own community for their community. That's my America! Very different from the big box corporate sharks that are only about following the money into your community.

www.mccutcheons.com

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote