View Single Post
Old 06-25-2020, 11:45 PM   #1
truckster

Newb Questions on Primer and Paint

After seven years of being without my Blazer, I'm finally getting it back on the road. New engine, wiring harness, cooling system, body mount bushings, etc.

When I took the front clip off, I intended to paint the whole truck, but I don't want to take the time to do that right now. I have two replacement fenders that someone else sandblasted - the surface is pretty rough - and a hood that just need spot filler where the usual rock chips are.

I've been told I need a high-build primer. What's best for a newb to use, and will I be wasting my time trying to make the sandblasted sheet metal smooth? I want the paint to be as simple as I can make it. I'm going to match the tub color (dark yellow 519) and I'm just planning on spraying the fenders and hood; any extra I'll put on the body where it needs it most. So, single-stage urethane?

There is a National Coatings and Supplies store, a Sherwin-Williams automotive paint store, an independent chain (Jones Paint and Glass) and a discount auto paint store all within a short distance. Is there any particular one that I should go to or a particular one to avoid? Is there anything else I need to know before I buy the materials? I have a decent compressor, a CH HVLP gun, and a line dryer.

I'm open to any help here, and very appreciative of it. I'm looking for a 20-footer, not a show finish, so it doesn't need to be perfect. Thanks for your input.