View Single Post
Old 06-26-2020, 04:01 PM   #11
Baker819

Re: New harness, crank no start

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post
It takes an elaborate piece of equipment to properly test the distributor components.. Any fully equipped automotive repair facility can test/repair it.. During the years I worked as a drivability mechanic, I replaced very few failed pick up coils.. On the other hand, I replaced hundreds of those modules.. They're very prone to failure. So prone that I carry one in the glove box of my truck. I don't normally promote guessing and parts slinging.. In this case, due to the failure history of the GM ignition module, if it were me, I'd go first with the odds and just "shotgun" (take a WAG and replace) the module..
Not sure why I didn't just google it after getting some help or even just from the beginning. I guess for lack of time. Anyways, I took apart the distributor again and figured out how to do some test with the multimeter. I was about to just shot gun the problem because I've heard the same thing about the modules, more so with Pertronixs brand.

Battery voltage: 12.33

Black probe on battery ground and Red probe on HEI ignition coil connector ( module connected but not tach or ignition coil wires ) and helper working the igntion switch:
Off: 0.000v
On: 0.003v
Start: 0.001v

And with Black probe on battery + and Red probe on connection point for tach ( again wire not connected from tach )

0.05v movement -12.08 to -12.13 when cranking to on position

I was going to do an LS swap in 6 months and just around $1000 into the dang engine before I found out the compression was unconsistent and on the low side... o well I guess
Baker819 is offline   Reply With Quote