View Single Post
Old 06-26-2020, 11:49 PM   #16
toolboxchev

Re: Vapor lock percolation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltpowers View Post
I’ll start out saying I have a 1971 gmc c15.

Eps edlebrock intake with avs2 edlebrock carb. Under than I have a heat insulated gasket and then a phenolic spacer. They have help with what I think is vapor lock alittle but not solved it b

The the truck is warm and it’s hot out. I’ll rev the engine from the throttle and it doesn’t get gas till about 1/8 of the way back. Shoots what I assume are vapor fumes until then. I was told to get the spacers I listed about. Helped alittle but not a lot. So I got a fuel filter with the little return oriffice and that also helped alittle but not enough.

I’ve wrap hoses with cooling sleeves no help. It mostly studder and stumbles from stop to go or under light throttle while drive. I can rev it in park and it does miss a beat.

I installed headers this weekend cause my ram
Horns just didn’t get enough airflow. But even with the headers the problem still persist.

Street fire distributor I installed back in January or February. So hei and not points. While doing the headers I did an oil change and plugs and wires. Currently running muffles of the headers till I can get this heat soak problem solved.

Brand new mechanical fuel pump. No return line on it which is why I got the fuel filter. I do have a regulator at 5.5 max psi

I’ve been dealing with this for acouple months now and just can’t figure out how to fix it. I’m relatively new to working on these but have never had this heat problem with any older vehicle I’ve had. In desperate need of help. The truck will start to overheat if I’m sitting and idling for like ten minutes but never overheats or gets that hot it seems

Later today I will buy a temp gun to show what my numbers are.
Posted via Mobile Device
Temp shows 144 coming out of radiator into engine I assume?

Yea, like everyone else says, go completely thru timing and get it dead on. You can even buy an adjustable vac advance can from Pertronix. I am at roughly 14-16 intial, 22 vac, and way up around 50 all in. 76 cc chamber heads, and 87 octane pump gas. Does not knock, I need to get the all in down on timing, it loses a lot of power over 3500.

I am running a pretty stock 350, Hei, Accel super coil, accel module, accel wires and stock intake with adapter and 1/4 gasket under it. Eddy manual choke carb on top.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote