View Single Post
Old 06-29-2020, 10:14 AM   #15
67C10Step

Re: The ethics of a seller - the "gray" areas

When selling something I am probably as bad or worse than the buyer because I lay it all out there and my price. Saying up front my price reflects everything I know about said vehicle. I have also actually told people when they lay out there first price we are so far apart we should probably stop at that point.

The last vehicle I sold was a 2009 Toyota Corolla that I had used as a work vehicle. It had 233K miles on it but didn't smoke, leak, or use a drop of oil between changes. It had some paint chips and some clear coat issues on the roof which I described, along with everything I had done to the car mechanically. It was a solid driver and I described it as a good work car or perfect first car for some kid.

Guy bought it for his daughter as her first car and paid me my asking price as we both thought it was fair. I had no worries about a young girl in the car because I used to get in it at 5 a.m. every morning and drive an hour one way to work. I trusted that car.

Now, the guys like the $80K truck in question? I'd say that is probably deception trying to pass something off as something it is not. It's still a nice truck, just not what they are portraying it to be due to the fact they want to get that high $$ price out of it. Happens in every market that is hot and people with cash that don't know what they are looking at get took. Now I would also say that anyone that is looking at an $80K 1972 4x4 probably should have enough money I'm not worried about them taking it in the shorts as it is on them as a buyer to know better.

I am in sales but it's for highly engineered products. However, when I am buying I always tell folks that I win or lose every day in sales so I have zero emotional involvement. I listen to what a seller is saying but never believe most of it. I feel like the buyer should have done enough research to not get skinned alive. I've paid more than I wanted to for a few things because it was in front of me, was acceptable, and had to weigh how much more my time was worth to keep looking.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote