View Single Post
Old 07-03-2020, 04:30 PM   #2623
Killer Bee

Re: My Facetruck thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
What powers that sporty coupe?
it's a 1964 Gleaner model E, first year my dad started working there as main frame welder.. 37 years total until they moved agco to hesston ks and he retired..

it has a whopping 65hp from a 226cid inline 4 gas engine with a load governor.. 12v positive ground electrical system btw

it hasn't run in about 7-8 years and needed to be moved, groundhogs had taken residence under the header..

fuel line and valve from tank were gunked shut completely.. removed everything to the bowl on the pump and flushed and rodded out the lines.. took about half a day just to get clear fuel flowing..

the distributor is a delco so I gave local o'Reillys a shot at it.. close but not quite on cap n rotor but champion plugs were a good match.. carbon button on the cap was gone and rotor contact tab was scaled rust, not usable..

I tried a semi-local dealer and voila, actually had both in stock! so the boy and I hopped in the longhorn and went for it.. just before higginsville 13hwy exit off I70, fan belt broke and just made the ramp with a little steam..

of course a man stopped to help within 30 seconds I explained what was going on and thanked him for stopping.. he said well, jump in and let's at least get those parts before dealer closes (about 30 min).. I asked if he had the time he said surely so off we went.. he waited for us in the dealer then took us across the street for a belt.. my boy grabbed a $5 wrench set and off we went..

he left his name and number, said he was 10min from there if we needed anything.. just after I had belt on, about 10min cuz p/s belt is outboard, another man stopped to help.. he has a 70 three door so we had to chat a min.. started it up and crossed the overpass to fill up coolant/water..

all in all, 5 people asked if we needed help, three stopped, two got out and walked up, and the first of course drove us 5 miles to town and back.. feels so good to be home