View Single Post
Old 07-05-2020, 08:15 PM   #75
jocko

Re: eBay Cheyenne Super -- Another Fake SPID

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypressbog View Post
Bringing this back to the top for a reason. The number of fake trucks is getting out of hand. It’s almost to the point that if you don’t have the paper build sheet, you have to assume whatever truck you’re looking at is a tribute. Drove 3.5 hours today to look at a very clean 72 SWB big block. Everything looked right except the GVW on the VIN thanks to Dantip. I had to walk away. My biggest question was the SPID had upper and lower molding listed on the spid with Cheyenne Super. I thought CS already included upper and lower molding????
Your instincts were correct - You should not see RPOs BX2 or B85 on a Super, both are standard.

As for tributes or fakes - while I agree there are plenty of them out there, I also can't think of one that's fooled us here on the site yet (or, we were indeed fooled and don't know it ). To be blunt, most of the fakes are HORRIBLE replications of a Super. But there are occasionally some pretty good "fakes" out there. For me, the first thing I look at is the whether the SPID is aged or not. If it appears brand new, that's an indication that it could be an attempt to pull the wool over someone's eyes, but does not mean it is a fake. Some restos go the whole 9 yards and replace the SPID, faithfully, and retain records to prove it's correct. That's perfectly fine in my book. And, for that matter, I don't mind if people replicate Supers - that's perfectly fine, unless one tries to sell it as an original one. That's when it gets dishonest. There are dishonest folks selling truck and there are clueless folks selling trucks - it's a buyer beware world out there. And it sound like you went in prepared - nicely done! Still, long drive... ugh.

Last edited by jocko; 07-05-2020 at 08:22 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote