View Single Post
Old 07-07-2020, 11:21 AM   #45
Isaiah92260

Re: Need help with my first 350 sbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin oil View Post
Did your problem start about the same time as the balancer issue? The timing chain may have skipped a tooth. Double check your spark plugs and make sure the firing order is correct. 21" of vacuum at 1000rpm sounds like she is pretty healthy though.

Yes that’s when my problem started.

I had first set the valves when it was not running when I first got the engine.
The carb rebuilder restores the carb and set it on a 350 they have at the shop so
I havnt not messed with the carb.

Once I got the engine started the first tome, I set the timing to
12 degrees.
I sounded like it was running great.
And all my plugs are in sequence, not crossed wires, everything there I checked and double checked.

Then one do I started her up, let it warm up, and noticed it was not running the same, the engine was shaking really bad, sounded like it was mis firing and when I checked the timing that’s when I noticed that the balancer timing mark was off 2 inches.

Now that’s where I am at, I first tried changing the balancer and have the same issue with the new balancer.

Then started checking everything and that’s when I found the loose rocker and the then found out that I had to
Tighten the rocker down so much to get it to open the valve.

Right now it is still running poorly once it warms up and in idle.

When I start it up cold it sounds like it’s running smooth.

Right now I have it timed at where I could get the highest vacuum at 16” and that is where I could get the engine to run the smoothest.

Skipped tooth on the timing chain?? That sounds like that could be possible, maybe that’s why I can’t get the distributor to get the timing mark anywhere close to the pointer.

When I do turn it so far advanced to reach the pointer, the engine shakes so bad like if it’s going to die so I don’t even try anymore. That’s happened only once. Right now I have the carb off.
I was thinking of pulling off the manifold and heads and see what’s going on there
Isaiah92260 is offline   Reply With Quote