Thread: 47-55.1 Wheel spacer question
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2020, 03:02 PM   #4
joedoh

Re: Wheel spacer question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8man View Post
I got my first ever wheel spacers - Hubcentric 2" - for the S10 frame under the 48. I put them on (we'll get to that) and the front tires are spaced nicely. However there are 2 issues.

The first is more critical. When installing the rider's side it went on snug, but bolted up to the spindle. On the driver's side, I carefully bolted it on to keep the small space between the spacer and the hub. I can see daylight through it. I don't think that is right and was wondering if I should take a Dremel to it to make it flush up?

Second the new spacer has 1.25 Metric studs. Of course my 85 S10 has 1/2" x 20 studs. I was wondering if I can just press out the metric studs and go back with some 1/2" studs?

Thanks.

ok lets clear up a couple things:

space between the spacer and the hub? are you taking when you look in at the cap/dust shield of the bearing? or are you talking about the spacer wont seat flat to the spindle when you look down from the top?

if the first, hubcentric does not mean it will sit flat on the bearing "hat", it means only that the centerbore of the spacer will fit exactly to the mounting surface of the brake rotor.

if the second, the super 1st gens centerbore was slightly larger than the later. 70.8 vs 70.3mm. so if you ordered spacers to fit a later s10 that is your problem.

on that note, I have never seen an s10 that did not have a metric stud, we just worked on an 83 s10 over christmas and he thought like you that the studs were SAE, but they were metric. the brakes on these are called "metric" when on g bodys, starting in the late 70s. double check your studs.

in that same vein, if your studs on your rotor indeed are SAE, there is still no problem, just use the right lug nuts to bolt the spacer on and use the metric lug nuts to bolt the wheel on. I am betting they are metric though.

if you want to fix BOTH problems, buy new brake rotors from a 95+ S10. they will have ABS toothed wheels on the back side but will use the same bearings, have the smaller centerbore, and will have metric studs.

I just put hubcentric spacers on mine last night, and on the front I had to sand the bearing hat slightly to get them to seat. it was all the way out by the dust cap, no strength lost.

fwiw there usually isnt a reason to call for hubcentric spacers unless your wheels have that 70.3 centerbore and call for it. S10s were always lug centric.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote