View Single Post
Old 07-09-2020, 09:42 AM   #500
Purcell69

Re: 1957 Chevy 3100, meet 1994 Dodge Ram 1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
pretty stuff! I would love that shroud on my rad with the mechanical fan
Thanks Joe. I'm really impressed with the quality of that shroud. The plastic is about 1/4" thick and is rigid, but not brittle. Also, I misspoke in the video, the inserts for the hardware are cadmium plated steel, not brass, to the fasteners that mount the shroud to the brackets are steel on steel.

I had considered ordering a pre-fab aluminum shroud off EBay and then sourcing either another electric fan, or just replacing the two speed motor for the Ford fan, since it is a 15" fan blade, just like the Flex-a-lite. I'm sure that would have been a reasonable option, but in the end, the cost would have been similar to the Flex-a-lite unit, and I would have still needed some form of a fan controller, which the Flex-a-lite came with.

We took it out for a test drive yesterday and it worked flawlessly. In traffic, the temperature would climb to 210* and the fan would kick on. Within a minute or so of running, the temperature would drop back to 200* and the fan would shut back down. The fan operation is smooth and relatively quiet, it can barely be heard over the engine at idle, but you have to listen for it.

-Joe