View Single Post
Old 07-14-2020, 04:00 PM   #32
custom10nut

Re: Temp Gauge issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
Where is your sender installed in the cooling system? It may be that you have steam pockets building up in the system. Steam will build up in pockets and then burp out into the coolant flow. When steam passes the sender it will cause the temperature at the sender to rise temporarily then drop after the steam has passed. Sometimes this can be cured by drilling a 1/8" hole in the thermostat . That is if your sender is in the thermostat housing.
This condition can start happening due to a failing head gasket. You can test your coolant for the presence of exhaust gasses to rule out this as a cause of your problem.
Just information in case the grounds prove to be fine.
It’s not the steam pocket problem. The Sending unit is in the side of the head, between 1-3 plugs. There’s no oil/coolant mixture and there’s plenty of pressure In the coolant system. The Heat range theory is starting to sound like the culprit.
Is there a vendor that has a factory spec sending unit for a 70 350? Would putting a resistor in the line with the gauge fix the Issue?
As I said from the beginning, the engine runs beautifully and never overheats. So I know it’s circulating correctly. I just like to visually monitor conditions while I’m driving.
Tomorrow I’m picking up a temperature gun so I’ll be able to give a “Temp at the Head” in my next post.
Here’s another Fleeting thought.
Could a wire splice be causing the issue?
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote