View Single Post
Old 07-17-2020, 03:36 PM   #23
Axle

Re: Jeep Steering shaft

I got myself an Omix-Ada 18016.05 jeep steering shaft (1984-1994 cherokee, comanche (sx, xj, mj)).

Prep: heated it with a propane torch, as soon as it started oozing and the shaft moved I knocked it out with a pickle fork. Doing that prevented melting out all the plastic from the inner shaft, in hindsight, didn't need to worry about it, as installed in the truck, the shaft is shorter than it would be in the jeep so good full engagement of the two parts. But getting the heat off asap was also done so as not to destroy the rubber isolator.

Install went smooth. I did have to do some grinding on the steering column side to the rounded portion for it to fit, still ended up extremely tight and it wasn't going anywhere--bought a lower bearing as well and that did not get installed due to me being a bit enthusiastic getting the jeep shaft on. In the future, I will need to pull the column & shaft as one peice if I want to remove the shaft without destroying it. Didn't help that a previous owner/mechanic on my truck went to town on the original pinch bolt and distorted the lower column D-shaft. Just something else to add to the list of things to look for when I go to the wreckers.

Driving impresions; considering my rag joint was a lot worse than I thought it was, and the upper bell end joint was sloppy as all get out as well, the new shaft is like driving a rack & pinion vehicle. Ain't no slop there any more.You wiggle the steering, everything wiggles including the wheel. Can't ask for more than that. No new steering wheel vibrations to report either-but the jeep shaft has an upper rubber isolator. When that rots out, I'll weld it in place and see if theres any difference.

So, if you are on the fence about it, just do it. Insta-steering is nice.

Alex.
Attached Images

Axle is offline   Reply With Quote