View Single Post
Old 07-25-2020, 05:46 AM   #4458
Grizz1963

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside RESTO-GO!

So on Wednesday evening after work, I grabbed the supersized grinder and a new disc to start cutting the 200 x 100 beam we previously welded in half again as it was going to serve as one of the front upright posts.

I donned full PPE as that machine intimidates me.

Three quarter way through, I heard loud laughing when I stopped the machine to turn the beam onto its side.

It was Andy, stood with a beer in hand, camera in the other........

He also had never seen me wearing it all, including earplugs.

I was pleased to see him.

So once the beam was cut, we cut the last of the three galvanised beams @Oldbus had brought years ago in 2007 down to the right length for the rear support.

Then Andy burned two holes through the steel, we used a Bullnose Tungsten burr cutter to tidy the hole so that a long reach socket could get in there, and started to weld in two straps from behind and a bunch of tabs, all to hold the post that would be resting on a cement base onto the garage wall.

Done.

Then in another unprecedented move.......

I used a spirit level to Andy’s shock and dismay to get it straight.

Up the ladder with the SDS drill, 12mm first, followed by 20mm holes 100mm deep.

All the bolts ready, Ductape keeping it all together for the next fun step......

Threading all the tabs in at the same time, while holding that heavy beam in place.

I think Andy was impressed.

Job done, red oxide next once I made a spray painting cardboard mask to add to the job.

Only needs to top plate to be welded in

I will measure, drill and cut it on Saturday, welding Monday after work.

Bit by bit. Getting there.

One more upright to make up, and the paving to be completed around the other posts where the bolts are in the concrete foundations..

Need to start figuring what cross beams to use and the lay out of the frame and roofing.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote