Thread: TA_C10: Stage 1
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2020, 11:31 PM   #856
TA_C10

Re: TA_C10: Stage 1

Update - Inner fenders and doors in 2K

I forgot how much work it is to body work and paint. This humidity is unforgiving when it comes to wearing rubber gloves during all those cleanliness phases too. I had sweat just pouring out of the back of my gloves while maneuvering the spray gun it was stupid. I ended up scratching that idea. I'm wearing dry fit everything and I'm still soaked to the bone. I never complain. But dam I won't give up. Even when I start hanging my doors on my rack, and IT COMES LOOSE FROM THE HANGER AND SLAMS ON THE CONCRETE!!! Yep. Came down sideways, all the weight hit on door edge hinge side upper body line. It hit so perfect it shifted the door skin. I was so pissed I think the neighbors will never allow their kids outside again.

After I looked closer, it shifted that outer skin enough that it tore the little ledge for the wing window, I had to weld it back together. I ended up beating the skin back with a sledge and 2-by. Then I hammer and dollied the door edge (impact zone) best I could. It also broke the tack welds holding the outer door skin to the window channel and it not only shifted sideways but out away from window channel. Beat that back in too.

I ended up finishing that up, hung it up again, cleaned it, primed both doors, then put 3 coats of 2k on both doors and both inner fenders. I will have to test for the busted door, pray it isn't too bad and I got it fixed. Will have to grind the window channel and outer skin to re-tack weld but if that's all I will be happy.

All that's left is a tiny bit of sanding and these parts are ready for final paint. Pending the door damage... And don't ask for damage pics, I didn't take any pictures during that savage cursing debacle....

"It's only money".
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote