View Single Post
Old 07-28-2020, 03:53 PM   #1
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

If you have a little time and want to give me a hand

in why my car is making these ratting sounds ,, I am wanting to get it road worthy and sell it ..

I start up the car (1939 Chevy ) 235 cu in motor-- 5 speed T-5 tranny --1955 Bel Air rear end ,,and it sits there rattling with a sound like a throw out bearing going out..when I shift it rattles and after I shift it rattles .,while driving ,,,worse in lower gears than the high one like the 3RD and 4TH

I decided to have the car hauled to the Machanic Trans shop instead of driving it and taking the chance of it breaking down along the way.. ,,,So the Machanic took the transmission apart and found nothing wrong with it ,,,,,,,,,,,( I had reservations because my son and I overhauled it),.. he puts a stethascope to the motor area and also the rear end ,,no harsh sounds ,,but at the fly wheel area there's where the rattling sound is coming from .

The machanic wants me to do some things like jack up the transmission and put something like a 1/4 inch leather or hard rubber shim between the transmission and the cross member for the transmission.. next take the bolts out of the crossmember under the bell housing and take down the cross member..

Then he says start the engine and see it this stops the rattling sound .. He showed me how the motor mount rubbers were worn to where the motor metal is sitting right on the cross member that the mounts are on.. he thinks the sound may be traveling to the bell housing area along with the bell housing mounts also are worn too..

Now I want to make clear ,,this is a harsh rattle like a sound of a bad throw out bearing as for what I can compare the noise too.,the throw out bearing is like new

Name:  20170519_113159.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  34.0 KB