View Single Post
Old 07-28-2020, 11:23 PM   #14
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Re: If you have a little time and want to give me a hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by '63GENIII View Post
Powerstrokes were notorious for the springs in the dual mass flywheels weakening or cracking causing a rattle that sounded like a box of rocks shaking around. It would be especially loud as you would shut off the engine and the flywheel would rattle for a second or two after the engine was off.

The clutch plate also has very similar damper springs that run the circumference of the clutch hub. Ive seen those crack and just flat out degrade to the point that they are loose and you can hear the hub, springs and friction rattle by hand when you take them out.

They would rattle anytime the engine runs, probably more prominent in the lower revs because the engine strokes are more defined?

Im gonna guess that as you let the clutch out, the rattle goes away for a bit only to return when the clutch is lightly loaded? On acceleration and deceleration does it pipe down?

My bet is on the damper springs on that clutch plate.
thx for your imput ,,

Would you also think that the SNAP sound I heard and then the NOISE I now hear could of been the damper springs on the clutch plate breaking ??