View Single Post
Old 08-01-2020, 01:47 AM   #116
randy500
Account Suspended

Re: 72 GMC K2500, short bed build

Time for an update.
I have been real busy with steering column work, summer stuff and just bogged down.
I have decided to put an LS engine in this truck. I am basically against LS installs for the following reasons.
1. Complexity and multiple system upgrades.
2. Cost vs benefit
They dont run better or start better than a properly tined quadrajet if you know how to tune one and i do!
i doubt the mileage is much better either.
In 1992 i did a TPI install in my 2wd blazer, fuel injection was pretty cutting edge then and the cool factor was a lot. On that one i found the mileage to be only marginally better.
I will find out first hand on this LS and that will be interesting.

I bought a 2010 LS3 engine from a Camaro, it has 77k on it and is complete with accessories, wiring and ecu. I chose the LS3 because its pretty much king of the ordinary LS engines, 430hp, no dod/afm and no vvt, highest compression ratio and the most cam too. I bought a new vette when the engine came out in 2008 and they run real strong.

For trans im using a 2008 4l80e, i had one here i bouht for my crew cab when it was a gasser. I have it torn down for rebuild right now. I just discovered off road design sells a pre-machined th400 to np205 adapter that fits the slightly smaller register st the back of the 4l80. I test fit it today and it fits right.

I bought a ton of install parts and will post up as they arrive and i test things out.

Today i built part of the fuel system. Im gonna run a low pressure in tank pump in the cab tank and a high pressure pump in a surge tank in the engine compartment. I researched rear tanks and from what i can tell the boyd rear tank doesnt have a fuel bowl around the pump which without it the pump will pull air when low which causes drive-ability issues. That boyd tank is over $800, you would think it would be set up properly, anyway i pretty much hate the complexity of installing a rear tank anyway but did consider it if it were a drop in fuel solution. I dont think it is.

So i built this in tank pump today, i bought a new in tank sending unit pump assembly for a 96 chev truck and cannibalized it for the wiring connector, fuel pump, pump sock and other stuff. I was hoping to use the lower fuel pump support but it wouldn't fit through the tank opening,
For the wiring connector through the top of the sending unit i had to flatten the original raised pad, sand it flat and drill the hole larger.
I also drilled the sending unit flange for a 5/16 return line, bent a line and soldered it in.
I used russel, -6 an to 5/16 and 3/8 compression fuel line adapters which i will connect to aeroquip teflon braided stainless lines.
I wasnt sure how the wiring connector connects to the donor sending unit (only seen it in pictures) but i figured i might be able to adapt it to the 72 sending unit, turns out it has a spring clip retainer and an o ring seal. Im real happy with how it worked out.
Attached Images

randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote