Thread: 55.2-59 outside sunvisor
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2020, 09:50 AM   #16
paulspickupparts

Re: outside sunvisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
It may be just me but no one except Migrant fruit pickers from the Ozarks ever had them on their cars or trucks around here in the 50's or 60's I don't think the local Chevy dealer even sold them on new rigs as you don't see locally sold Chevy trucks of any year with visors.
The Visor thing didn't start with main stream car and truck guys until Lowrider Magazine showed up on the stands in the mid 70's with the East LA bomba rides that had all the fru fru on them that many new to the hobby guys now think is a requirement. You just never saw a visor in a magazine before that outside the rare shot of an East La style bomb lowrider.

Check any old car magazines from the 50's 60's and early 70's and you will see no fixed up ride with a visor. Even Rick Hovings Custom Chronicles that shows most of the early customs shows no visors on any of them.
In the last 40 years of scrounging the yards I have run across a few. they were not that common . When I did find them they were usually on more of a high end well optioned truck . Cameos seem to find more of them than other trucks. Cameo owners already had their preference for bling and the visor only added to that . I think they look ok . I have a waiting list of two buyers that want an original and are will to pay good $$$ . They specifically told me they do not want a repo.

Like anything it is in the eye of the beholder

Like lowered or lifted - some like some hate
20 inch wheels - some like some hate
rat rod - some like some hate
shop truck unpainted -some like some hate
chopped trucks -some like some hate
restore verses modified -some like some hate

I never belittle anyone one what they prefer If I did that would open everything up on my trucks

With that being said this was a very rare option found on very few trucks. The original mounting seemed to hold them on just fine but not sure how many were going 80 mph in 1959 . Hah
paulspickupparts is offline   Reply With Quote