Thread: Safety Updates
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2020, 02:25 PM   #23
jabborabbo

Re: Safety Updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBird05 View Post
I would keep a 15 yr old out of a truck that doesn't have air bags. All early drivers get into accidents. When she has more experients then let her have the truck. I am not being mean, I would just like to see her stay alive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidmoreGarage View Post
I'm not a parent, and I don't drive where you live or know the teen in question, but I would think really hard about making an old truck into a daily driver for a new driver. I wrecked my first car in a no fault accident and I had a perfect driving test and was relatively risk adverse.

A crash is just a matter of when, and there are no replacements for crumple zones, airbags, door impact bars, and rollover protection. My neighbor totalled his 1971 Chevy truck, and hurt himself in our 20mph zone a couple blocks from his house. The truck was mangled (bent frame and crumpled cab) after getting hit at a 4 way intersection. I don't want to even imagine freeway speeds.

If she wants it as a project and to cruise around, that's a different story!
I agree totally with these posts! I bought my ‘67 GMC about 6 years ago, and it didn’t take me long to realize (like about five minutes) that I would have to make serious changes regarding my driving habits (like lane changing, following distance, etc.) When I’m in my truck I feel as vulnerable as I do when riding a motorcycle, and I drive it accordingly. It’s wonderful to think about a young person wanting to drive these trucks, but driving one as a cruiser every now and then is in no way comparable to driving one as primary transportation, especially in an urban or suburban environment.